Capable of Supporting Pressures Up to 10,000 psi
The EBAD TiNi™ FrangiValve is a “Normally Closed” isolation valve that is capable of supporting pressures up to 10,000 psi. It is hermetically sealed using an all stainless steel valve body with a variety of orifice sizes. Actuation is achieved by using a Frangibolt® Actuator to break an internal barrier which bridges the inlet hole to the outlet port. The design is inherently scalable and available in a variety of embodiments and flow rates.
NEA (Non-Explosive Actuators) – As with all EBAD TiNi™ products, the Frangivalve Actuator is non-pyrotechnic and field reset-able with a minimum qualified life of 50 cycles.
Customizable Valve Body – Fluid flow is through an all Stainless Steel valve body which may be configured per customer specification (i.e. tubing length, diameter, and interface) with a variety of swaged or welded end fittings.
Field Reset-able and Reliable – The Actuator is reset in the same manner as our Frangibolt® Actuators (i.e. by compressing to a shorter length using a small press).
Redundant Firing Circuit – As with all EBAD TiNi™ Actuators a redundant firing circuit is incorporated. This can independently bring the valve to actuation in approximately 30 seconds.
Safe to Use and Operate – The Frangibolt® does not pose any safety concerns to personnel, is low shock, and insensitive to ESD (Electro-Static Discharge).
The FV4 Frangivalve has a 0.080” diameter orifice and rated to an operational pressure of 3,000 psi [20.7 MPs]. It includes redundant temperature sensors which may be used to monitor Actuation. As with all EBAD TiNi™ products, key attributes include:
- Non Pyrotechnic and Field Reset-able
- Redundant Firing Circuit,
- Maximum Reliability Thru
- Design Simplicity
- Pedigree, and
* EBAD must provide the replaceable valve body. This may be readily manufactured to customer specifications.
Function Time at Various Temperatures
Nominal values for estimation purposes only. Actual function time depends on application (joint) design and circuit used (primary or secondary).
Specification subject to revision. Contact EBAD for detailed ICD (Interface Control Drawing).
(Please click the “+” below to learn more about product accessories)
The EBAD TiNi™ Mini Frangibolt® Actuator are rated to have a minimum life of 50 cycles. For continued testing and preparation for final installation, EBAD provides a mechanical reset tool as shown which will generate the force and stroke required to compress all Mini Frangibolts styles.
Compression of the Mini Frangibolt® Actuator is a simple 3 step process: First, install the unit in the fixture using the adapter provided. Second, tighten the drive screw using a torque wrench until the specified torque value as indicated on the reset tool has been reached. Third back off the drive screw and remove the actuator. The whole process may be carried out in less than 30 seconds. Furthermore, the size and weight of the Mini Frangibolt® Actuator Compression Fixture make it fully portable allowing easy transport.
The Fasteners used in the Frangibolt® Actuator release system are an integral part of the mechanism. For all Frangibolt® Actuator sizes, a significant amount of testing was performed to derive the optimum material, notch profile and notch diameter. These features must remain constant for all applications. The customer typically specifies the Fastener type, grip and thread length as well as the notch location. EBAD Fasteners are manufactured per strict tolerances and procedures involving both individual and lot-level testing and inspection.
The picture below illustrates some of the more common Fastener configurations that have been successfully used. Each suits a different type of Frangibolt® Actuator joint design and lends enormous versatility to this unique product.
The Washers used in the Mini Frangibolt® Actuator assembly are an important part of the mechanism. They serve the following critical functions:
- They distribute the relatively high recovery stress generated by the SCSMA cylinder during actuation, on a much larger contact area.
- G10 washers provide thermal isolation and it is highly recommended to install between Mini Frangibolt® Actuator and the structure.
- They have minimum thickness so as to minimize the overall length of the joint.
- They have chamfers specially designed to match fillet radiuses of NAS bolts (at the location where the bolt head meets the bolt shank).
- They have tighter fitting inner diameters designed to clear NAS bolt shanks while at the same time maximizing coverage of the SCSMA cylinder.
Custom lock nut shown on this page have been widely used with the Mini Frangibolt® Actuator release mechanism. They offer the following key features:
- They are made from Solution Treated and Aged Titanium 6AL-4V STA.
- They have locking helicoil inserts made out of 304 stainless steel with a minimum tensile strength of 74 ksi.
- They have a washer face for more even load distribution.
- They offer a higher profile than other NAS nuts thereby increasing the number of threads engaged and reducing the stress in the thread.
Note that not all Mini Frangibolt® Actuator designs require a nut as many thread directly into a flange or structure. In this case, it is important that the threaded connection be designed to withstand the tensile strength of the notched Frangibolt® Actuator.
For more information: